The Word, National Centre for the Written Word is situated on the banks of the River Tyne in South Shields. The Word boasts a changing FREE exhibition programme that caters for visitors of all ages as well as an extensive programme of events, talks, storytelling sessions, workshops, activities and much more.
In addition there are a range of facilities that are accessible to visitors including a library of more than 70,000 books, a digital media wall to try out your artistic skills, touchtables with a variety of interactive games, a FabLab to get creative, an immersive storytelling room and a media studio.
Other facilities include: Café: The Word and Shop @ The Word.
– Wheelchair accessible
– Unisex accessible toilets on all floors
– Adult changing facility on the ground floor
– Baby changing facilities on all floors
– Lifts to all floors
– Guide and hearing dogs are welcome
– Occasional seating can be found on ground floor, levels 1 and 2
– There are 7 designated parking bays for blue badge holders in The Word car park, located opposite The Word, next to South Shields Ferry Landing
– Audio tours in main exhibition space
– Subtitles on a selection of exhibition films
– Trained members of staff are happy to answer any questions and provide help and guidance for getting around the building.
How to redeem:
Present Max Card on arrival
Terms and Conditions:
Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer
Max Card must be produced on the day for discount to be validated
The offer is valid for the card holder and any accompanying individuals
Event tickets may only be purchased in Shop @ the Word, please present Your Max Card to the member of staff at the time of booking
The offer excludes South Tyneside Library pre-school programmed activities/ groups and arts and crafts sessions